The Sri Ramakrishna Mission Vidyalaya, Coimbatore, is a major educational center of the Ramakrishna Mission. The Vidyalaya is situated about 19 kms from the Coimbatore City on the highway to Ootacamund, and is set in a serene environment spread over about 300 acres. The Institution was founded by Sri T S Avinashilingam in 1930, with an investment of Rs. 5.75 and one harijan boy on its roll. Indeed, a small beginning for his great inspiration that stands materialised today as a vast educational and spiritual centre with fifteen wings! But then, there was a source for his inspiration to set out on that bold venture. While studying in college, Sri T S Avinashilingam met Swami Shivananda, a direct disciple of Bhagavan Sri Ramakrishna whose another famous disciple was Swami Vivekananda. It was from Vivekananda that Shivananda absorbed the idea of the prime importance of education for the revival of India. The ‘sacred touch’ of Swami Shivananda, as Sri Avinashilingam later described it, awakened in him the necessary strength and vision for his future mission in the field of education.
The Vidyalaya was affiliated to the Ramakrishna Mission, Belur Math, Howrah, West Bengal in January 1935. The Vidyalaya strives to infuse the educational and spiritual ideas of Bhagavan Sri Ramakrishna, Swami Vivekananda and Mahatma Gandhi into the daily lives of its students. Emphasis is laid on their all-round growth and enrichment. Universal values such as self- reliance, self-control, patriotism, service and dedication to duty are taught in various practical ways. A band of monks and brahmacharis of the Ramakrishna Order manage the activities of the Vidyalaya assisted by a highly professional and dedicated team of teaching and non- teaching staff.
Professional and technical courses in a variety of streams are offered in our various institutions such as…
1. Vidyalaya High School, Estd. 1930
2. T. A.T. Kalanilayam Middle School, Estd. 1940
3. Gandhi Teacher Training Institute, Estd. 1942
4. College of Education, Estd. 1950
5. Industrial Training Institute, Estd. 1951
6. Polytechnic College, Estd. 1956
7. Institute of Agriculture and Rural Development, Estd. 1956
8. Maruthi College of Physical Education, Estd. 1956
9. Swami Shivananda Hr Sec School, Estd. 1960
10. College of Arts and Science (Autonomous) Estd. 1964
11. Swami Shivananda Higher Secondary School (English Medium) Estd. 1989
and the four off-campus faculties, namely,
12. Faculty of Disability Management and Special Education (FDMSE),
13. Faculty of General and Adapted Physical Education and Yoga (GAPEY),
14. Faculty Center for Computer Science Applications and Research (FYCSAR),
15. Faculty Center for Agricultural Education and Research (FAR) of the RKMVERI (Deemed University) – Coimbatore
Ramakrishna Mission Vidyalaya,
SRKV (Post), Coimbatore – 641020.
Tel : (0422) 269 2676 | 9944941427 | email: [email protected]
WEBSITE : https://srkv.org/